Wednesday 3 November 2010

Industry Exercises-Day 1

Hey guys, this is a post for the subject I'm doing for my 2nd year at College, this is something called 'Industry Exercises' with Alex Hulse who is our teacher. What this subject is all about is doing something that is based in the medium that you want to go in, hence the name 'Industry Exercises'. I guess I can take this moment to talk about the medium I wanna go into, and I think maybe I told you guys already but in case I didn't I'll tell you anyway, the medium I wanna go into is character design. Character design is one of the things I'm quite passionate about going into when I graduate, if I ever will. Even though I enjoy doing animation, over the past two and a half years of my time here I discovered that it wasn't really what I wanted to go into and that's when I decided it was character design that would probably be my future career.

As a kid growing up, I drew constantly all the time, I pretty much drew anything but what I always drew stuff like dinosaurs, dragons and superheroes especially Spiderman. But I always drew still images and I had so much fun doing all of it, so when I was thinking maybe animation is not the thing I wanna do with the rest of my life then maybe it's character design, because that's what I always do. I mean don't get me wrong it's always cool to see your drawings move and all that but I really get a kick out of drawing still images and really cool stuff in my opinion, sorry to sound biased.

So yeah by the time I leave college I'd love do work on stuff for fantasy and sci-fi movies where you have a chance to draw things that you love when you're a kid like a "Star Wars" character or a creature from "Lord of the Rings" or maybe even a Transformer robot, that'd be so cool.

Already though I've decided which character I'll be designing for the course. The character is a kid named Willie, who first of all the idea I've got for him is that he's this pretty dark kid, he's very downbeat and not very sociable and very weird, he's basically a goth who has a creepy interest in insects. He's kind of based on this character I remember from "Smallville" the Superman origin show where there's this kid who has a massive interest in insects that when he gets super powers he becomes an insect man, and he becomes all dark and everything. Well that's what I want for my character to give the idea that there's something mysterious and dangerous about him. So I'm gonna have alot of fun designing him.

So that's it so far, I'll get back to you soon to tell you how far along I am and what each of the steps I'll be on to bring my little gothic insect loving villain to life. Until then, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment