Sunday 28 August 2011

Industry Exercise-Day 9 (Final Model)

Hey guys, I know it's been a very long while since I've made posts on my Industry Exercise blog, but now finally after a long wait which I apologise for, I can present to you my final model of Billy the Goth. Also I should point out before I proceed that this will be the last thing I do for Ravensbourne College as I am no longer a student there as I failed to get into the third and final year. Well not failed I have passed, but college have been very strict this year saying that I need a C in order to get. And I haven't received one C only D's. But please don't feel sad as this is good thing, as it means I can go on and do something better. But that will be explained in another post, for now I have to do a blog post for the examination board in order to get my Foundation Degree. What I'm going to do is show you how I made the final model for my character Billy the Goth. I forgot to hand in this blog post but I have been given a chance to retrieve it and hopefully as I said before it will give me my Foundation Degree which I have been working towards. So anyway without further ado here is the making of the final model of Billy the Goth. What I will do is have the pictures of how Billy was made with descriptions at the bottom.

Photobucket

First we (when I say we I mean me and the guidance of my good friend and Maya expert Nilly Brook) created a Polygon Cube.

Photobucket

Then added divisions.

Photobucket

We then deleted the inside faces and moved the vertices into the shape of a torso.

Photobucket

After that we smoothed and to do that you have to press the '3' key.

Photobucket

We then selected two of the faces above and extruded them inwards.

Photobucket

Then extruded one face out towards the elbow.

Photobucket

And then extruded out towards the wrist.

Photobucket

And then shaped the points.

Photobucket

And now to create the legs, we select the bottom faces and again as before we extruded them.

Photobucket

Of course before we did that we had to delete the inside faces.

Photobucket

We extrude them all the way down to the knee.

Photobucket

Once we extrude down the ankle we then rotate it at an angle to where the foot will go to.

Photobucket

We've now extruded the foot, shaped it and smoothed the object.

Photobucket

Now to make the neck, we select the top faces and extrude them up to make the neck. But whenever you do this, always make sure that the centre line is straight. To do that you must double click on one of the edges and use the scale tool 'x' direction to make the centreline straight.

Photobucket

Now we extrude the top of the neck.

Photobucket

We extrude to where the top of the skull would be. And again delete the inside of the faces.

Photobucket

Now to make the face, we select two of the faces and extrude them out.

Photobucket

We then shape the points and add extra edge loop tools.

Photobucket

We keep shaping the points with the extra edge loop tools.

Photobucket

Now we shape the face.

Photobucket

Now to put details on the face, starting with the eyes, we pretty much do same thing when we create all the other body parts, we select a face and shape it up to make an eye.

Photobucket

Now for the nose, again select and extrude the above face.

Photobucket

We now add another edge loop tool for the shape around the eye.

Photobucket

To create the mouth, we use the split polygon tool to draw a rough mouth shape.

Photobucket

Again we use the split polygon tool to create quads.

Photobucket

As you see above we delete the faces.

Photobucket

Now we've moved the points around, added some extra loops but only if necessary and smoothed the object. Yes the nose is still too big but late on that will be improved for the final model.

Photobucket

Now to make the hand. We do the usual, we go to the front of the arm, click on the face, extrude it and then we make divisions for the fingers and then we extrude them as well like you can see here with the thumb.

Photobucket

Now when you make the fingers, make sure you have all four faces selected. And then in edit mesh menu as you can see above, make sure 'keep faces together' is un-ticked. After that extrude the fingers out.

Photobucket

Now play around with the vertices until it resembles a hand.

Photobucket

Now when you've made one side of model you wanna make the other side. To do that go to "mirror geometry' and you'll get the other side.

Now it's time to add more details. And for Billy what me and my friend Nilly did, was since I wanted him to look like just a weird sort of alienated kid, I wanted to give one big eye ball sticking out and another one tucked in and have them both be coloured in red.

Photobucket

Then we gave him black spiky hair cos he's a goth obviously so he has to have it.

Photobucket

Then we clothed him by giving him black jacket, a red shirt, blue jeans, black shoes after we modelled his feet to make em smaller. We coloured all of clothing by using the texturing tool. We did the same thing with his skin, by giving him pale green looking skin to make him very gothic like and in the end we have something that looks like this;

Photobucket

So there he is with shadow and lighting and everything. Very proud of the way he looks and it was great to work on him and I hope the stuff you've read on this blog has been helpful to you if you ever wanna design a character in Maya, it is complicated a little bit but it is a lot of fun. So I've really hoped you enjoyed the making of Billy and if I ever design another character whether on paper or computer, I'll be happy to explain to you. Till next time, peace and love dudes and dudetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment